Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles SDCC


Here is my submission for the this years San Diego Comic Con Book.

The TMNT have always had a special place in my heart.

When I was first introduced to comic stores my small world changed. I always got my comics at the 7-11 rack, or the supermarket. For christmas one year in 1988 santa brought me a gift certificate for a comic shop. I couldn't even wrap my mind around what a comic shop must be, but I had to go the next day. Walking into what had to be the best place ever to exist absolutely changed my life. A store of comics!

I had around $100 to spend and had no idea what to spend it on, but the shop worker helped to recommend selections. TMNT, Fish Police, Boris the Bear, Elementals, Grendel, Robotech, The American, Dark Horse Presents, and a few other various indies suddenly entered into my imagination. The TMNT issue i got was  Tales #3. The art blew me away, the shading was stunning. From there, I had to have more, I had to know where ever comic shop was in my area, and I had to know what they had in their long boxes. I would spend days (yes days) culling through a stores innovatory, making mental notes on what was available and when I thought I could afford it. I found the low number TMNT issues at a local flea market. On their comic wall they had the first 8 issues of the TMNT (first prints) neatly tacked to their wall. I planned and schemed many times, but never was able to afford to purchase a single issue. 


No comments: